Sunday, April 8, 2012

The Weidners Discover Spectacular Spain!


Hola mis amgios!

First of all, Happy Easter!! Please eat a piece of lamb cake for me!

So as you all know, my parents came to visit. They were here for almost 2 weeks and they left here last Tuesday. It was such a great experience being able to travel with them and to be a tourist again even in my own city. I loved being able to show them around Sevilla, the city that I have called home for the last 7 months ( WOW, 7 months!!). There are a lot things I love about this city and as any place you live, after you become accustomed to it you start to forget the little things that at first put you in "awe". While my parents were here I rediscovered the things that I love about this city and it makes me appreciate even more why I am here. This city is so beautiful in so many different ways and it is important to not overlook its beauty! I need to take advantage of these next 2 months because no offense to Darien, but it is not NEARLY as pretty. haha!

While my parents were here we covered a lot of ground! We went to: Sevilla ( of course) Ronda, Granada, Cadiz, and Barcelona.

I decided that it would be fun to have a "special guest" give a few highlights on our trip, who is that special guest? My momma!

Here is what she had to say:

Spain...Glorious Spain.....Oh How I Wish I were back there right now!
So many amazing experiences in two short weeks. I fell in love with Spain for so many reasons....here are the things I will miss the most.

-Plazas with fountains...filled with families..dressed in their "Sunday Best" everyday

-Getting lost walking down narrow streets with shops and tapas bars.

-Spanish music and the expressive, energetic art of flamenco


-Grand cathedrals with their massive altars, stained glass...and gold...

Cathedral in Barcelona
Outside of the cathedral in Granada... one of our favorite little streets

-Spectacular train ride though the mountains to Granada with the view of Alhambra Palace from Saint Nicolas Park

View of the Alhambra from Saint Nicolas view point!


-The sound of horse's footsteps on cobblestone streets

-Maria Luisa Park in Sevilla with its beautiful palm and banyan trees....swans..fountains and flowers

Plaza Espana
Maria Luisa Park


-Colorful buildings and their balconies filled with potted flowers....
For example:


-Tapas, paella, Manchengo cheese, Patatas con aiolli, churros con chocolate, tinto de verano, cruzcampo, rioja vino,cafe con leche, bakeries, market in Barcelona with the fresh fruit and juices, Coloniales Restaurante in Sevilla!

Tapas in Granada!

Tinto de Verano! (Wine and lemonade)


Market in Barcelona... yum!!!


Breakfast at our hotel in Granada


Enjoying a Cerveza in front of the Alhambra

-Spontaneously joining in on the Sardana Dance in Barcelona

This was a sight to see!!! She did so good too!

You may be wondering: "What is this crazy dance my mother decided to partake in?" Well let me tell you. The Sardana dance is a circle dance, typical of the Catalonian people. Basically everyone stands in a circle and holds hands and as you can see they have different movements with their feet. In Barcelona they do this dance every Saturday night and Sunday afternoon. We were lucky to be in front of the cathedral when this took place. What I liked about this dance was that people of all ages were doing it. The people mom were dancing with was an older crowd. Then there was a group right behind them that were younger kids who were learning the dance. It is nice to have a traditional that people of all ages are interested in and are wanting to keep up!

-People watching from Laura's balcony...people with their dogs...and babies in fancy buggies and children kicking a ball in the street.

-The feeling of a close neighborhood of people who meet in the afternoons in outside cafes

Most of all I miss my beautiful daughter Laura...I am so proud of her for stepping out of her comfort zone to move to a land where she knew no one... and by doing so... enriched her life and those she meets with her kind heart and loving ways.

Seeing her first Semana Santa procession... can you tell that she loved it?!

Mom and I on the beach in Barcelona!

We took these cable cars over Barcelona to get to the top of a mountain!
Beach in Cadiz, I decided to get a little Artsy :)

Pictures of Ronda: Ronda is the hidden gem of Spain! They have this super old bridge that they are known for. Such a cute little majestic town!



So that was our trip in a nutshell. We made many great memories and I am so thankful that my parents were able to come visit!

Next post will be about Semana Santa in Sevilla!!!

Besos!

No comments:

Post a Comment